[ipxe-devel] 486 with a Realtek 8139

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Sun May 16 00:15:43 UTC 2021

16.05.2021 1:26, Michael Brown:
[...]
> Not sure where you got the notion of using "ARCH=x86" from - there is no
> "x86" build architecture supported in iPXE, no documentation suggesting
> that it does, and no documentation suggesting that "ARCH=..." should
> ever be specified on the build command line. This will be the cause of
> your circular DEPS problem.

Indeed, removing ARCH helped. (It was a leftover of building kernels, my
mistake. Got too much used to it)

> You can keep it simple and just build using any reasonably current (less
> than 10 years old) Linux distro's default gcc, with the command:
>
> make bin/10ec8139.pxe

Yes, it now builds successfully with both compilers.
Unfortunately the result is the same as before, except that the message
now says "640kB" instead of "633kB".

> (note .pxe rather than .kpxe - the .kpxe suffix is for the undionly.kpxe
> build target only, as per all available documentation).

Well, for me as a user, some suffix descriptions (pxe, kpxe, kkpxe)
looked somewhat vague. Anyway, I initially tried both, with the same result.

> You also have the option of using bin/ipxe.pxe, which will contain the
> full set of PCI NIC drivers. There's a prebuilt version downloadable at
> all times from
>
> http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.pxe

Just tried this one too, same result:
"640kB free base memory after PXE unload"

Thank you,

Regards,
Nikolai