[ipxe-devel] How to reduce the image size

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Sep 18 06:20:10 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 09:10:18AM +0800, 丰立波 wrote:
> 发件人:"Michael Brown" <mcb30 at ipxe.org>
> 发送日期:2020-09-17 20:14:06
> 收件人:"丰立波" <lbfeng at zd-tech.com.cn>,"ipxe-devel at lists.ipxe.org" <ipxe-devel at lists.ipxe.org>
> 主题:Re: [ipxe-devel] How to reduce the image size>On 17/09/2020 10:15, 丰立波 wrote:
> >> The size of snponly.efi is somewhat big for us, we just want a minimal
> >> functionality, how to reduce the image size in a good way.
> >
> >You can disable features via the config/*.h files.
> >
> >Out of interest, why do you need it reduced?  160kB is negligible on any
> >current LAN, and UEFI does not have the same memory constrains as legacy
> >BIOS.
> >
> >Michael
>
> Hello, Mr. Brown,

Hello All,

> Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for replying below the previous text.
It make reading in the discussion order possible.
Other benefit is that it makes skipping emails possible.
(due in other timezones, or reading from the mailinglist archive)

> I am testing the iPxe on a MIPS platform, the final image of snponly
> is about 900kB, and the network driver of the UEFI has some problem,
> it is very slow when downloading the iPxe image, and always fails
> with timeout. And even worse, the UEFI is already deployed, can't be
> changed. So, I think it could work to make a small iPxe image with
> the minimal functionalities for the defective UEFI.

160kB versus 800kB is factor 5
150kB versus 900kB is factor 6

> and there is another question: Given the code inefficiency of MIPS is
> well known, but the snponly size of 900kB is normal or not?

No, that is not normal.

> Thanks

Please pursuit the interresting problem.

Regards
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse