[ipxe-devel] UEFI PXE problems with amd systems

Thomas Walker Thomas.Walker at twosigma.com
Mon May 4 23:06:33 UTC 2020

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 09:56:40AM +0900, Christian Nilsson wrote:

> That shows us that the NII driver is used, which is the firmware driver, and
> not the built in iPXE ones for broadcom.
>
> Don't know if we can suggest much other then enable level 3 debugging of maybe
> the NII driver, something like DEBUG=nii:3 to get as much data as possible for
> what iPXE sends, and then compare that to what goes out the wire, send that
> information to both Dell and Broadcom and ask them to take a look on what might
> be going on.
>
> I find it more probable to be an firmware issue than iPXE, with that said, it's
> not impossible that iPXE could make something differently to mitigate the issue
> when using NII.
>
> If you see the same issue on other cards, and that is also using NII driver,
> then the firmware handling is more likely to blame rather than Broadcom driver
> in firmware.

Thanks, that did get me dumps that I assume are the outgoing packets.  I don't know anything really about NII, but I kind of naively assumed the debug output (at least of the data block) would look something like the hex dump of tshark -x but they are nowhere near alike.
Any pointers as to how to compare this with what we see on the wire would be greatly appreciated.