[ipxe-devel] appnote/debian_preseed instructions are wrong

Etienne Champetier champetier.etienne at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 21:42:49 UTC 2020

Le ven. 12 juin 2020 à 16:55, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> a écrit :

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 03:28:56PM -0400, Etienne Champetier wrote:
> > Hello iPXE devs,
> >
> > The text at https://ipxe.org/appnote/debian_preseed suggests that you
> > can load a non cpio file,
> > put it as initrd= param, and that even for EFI mode iPXE will make a
> > cpio for you.
> > In my testing (and as discussed here
> > https://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=7830&pid=11948#pid11948 by
> > others)
> > this is only working with cpio files when in EFI mode, so 2 questions:
> > - is this appnote/debian_preseed page just a design document that was
> > never implemented ?
>
> Or something that worked five years ago ...

So I lied a bit, my use case is for kickstart file, so maybe it
changes something,
But here is what works for for me, for bios and uefi:
~~~~
kernel ../kernel/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img initrd=ks.cfg.cpio
inst.ks=file:/ks.cfg ... (more cmdline options here)
initrd ../kernel/initrd.img
initrd ../ks/ks.cfg.cpio
boot
~~~~
Where ks.cfg.cpio is build using "echo ks.cfg | cpio -c -o > ks.cfg.cpio"

Thanks
Etienne