[ipxe-devel] iPXE and booting ISOs over the network

IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR stuart.tener at bh90210.net
Fri Jun 12 14:48:45 UTC 2020

List members,

I have done a number of web searches and am interested in gaining some
insights into what choices I have in implementing iPXE to boot ISO
files directly (I have read several postings that were 6 to 10 years
old in this area but no code was really given just oh I did this, I
did that). I had asked in an IRC channel a while ago (they are so
useless, people ignoring your question and trying to find a different
question you should be asking because that is what they can answer),
and got a bunch of discouraging replies. A huge discussion ensued
having nothing to do with what I had originally asked, and I abandoned
obtaining any help there.

I'd like to setup a server (as a virtual machine for portability, but
would be fine starting as a physical server to decrease complication)
with a singular purpose of providing iPXE/PXE booting services on my
home lab network. I'd like to be able to have a directory or that into
which I can plop an ISO file and then have some sort of menu generated
on the fly that notices all ISOs in that directory and offers a menu
that is presented whence someone boots iPXE/PXE via the network. I'd
also like to have a sub-menu of permanent ISO choices with
descriptions that can be selected from as well. It is my understanding
that iPXE/PXE can do this quite easily, but then I was given a ton of
reasons on the IRC why it would not work so I gave up in frustration
trying to sort "IRC wheat from IRC chaff".

My thought is to create a private 192.168.100.0/24 network in this
environment I propose, and for the server to have TFTP, DNS, and
whatever else is requisite installed there within. I think I'd like to
use Debian to do it, but am open to whatever distribution people think
will make this most easiest.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone stays safe from looting thugs
and healthy from the pandemic.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart