[ipxe-devel] Install centos 7.5 by broadcom 57416 OCP-NIC issue

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 08:59:09 UTC 2020

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 12:22, Gavin JQ2 Gong <gongjq2 at lenovo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>

> I want to install centos 7.5 by ipxe, don’t succeed,  have set PXE boot in
> 57416 NIC.  my server with nic(broadcom 57416,venderid :
> deviceid=14e4:16ee),  maybe because nic driver. Can you help add 57416
> driver into ipxe tg3.c?  thanks
>

> When intall os by ipxe, get error details:
>

> At ipxe commandl ine  net0 status is close
>

> I can open net0,but when I undrug net cable,the staus is still open。At
> the same time,when I run dhcp,net0 status will close。
>

> Gavin,gong  gongjiaq
>

> T:18611184662
>
> E:gongjq2 at lenovo.com
>
> Lenovo HQ West, Building 1, No.10 Courtyard Xibeiwang East Rd, Haidian
> District, Beijing, China 100094
>
> 北京市海淀区西北旺东路10号院1号楼

Hi,
The images you attached show a pcbios boot that tries to use undionly,
which should be undionly.kpxe
You could try to to add the relevant PCI_ROM line into tg3.c and then build
and use ipxe.pxe instead. However there have been some other known issues
with that driver.

I would instead investigate why the undionly driver is failing, it is
supplied via the BIOS, so might be a bug there. No update available for the
BIOS?
Your PXE stack does load iPXE so the network is clearly working, but it
might be an issue with state of the NIC
(in some cases we have seen nics that work after a coold boot, but not
after restart for example), It could also be link speed, for example
100Mbit link does not work, but 1Gig does.
All these are of course bugs, but undionly is and have been stable for a
long time, so that is why I'm at first suspecting issues with the BIOS UNDI
implementation rather than iPXE.

It might be possible to get this machine working with a tg3 enabled build,
but it would be good to also resolve the undionly issue, since that should
work on all machines regardless.

To add 14ee to the driver copy one of the lines at
https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/blob/master/src/drivers/net/tg3/tg3.c#L875 and
modify it to have 14e4:16ee instead, and then build either tg3.pxe or
ipxe.pxe and upload to your tftp server and point your dhcp server to it