[ipxe-devel] Intel PCIe NIC doesn't listed

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 10:05:28 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 10:40, yurij <lnkgyv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I've got last sources of ipxe from 'https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/' and
> successfully compiled 'undionly.kpxe' with 'PCI_CMD' support.
>
> I load 'undionly.kpxe' over PXE without problem. But I can see only
> builtin NIC and I can't see PCIe NIC in 'ifstat' output. For debugging I
> chain from ipxe commandline to 'http://boot.salstar.sk/lspci.ipxe' and
> find that ipxe see NIC in the PCIe bus. It is Intel 82571EB/GB D0/D1
> (VID,DID: 8086:105e).
>
> How can I make Intel NIC visible in 'ifstat'? I want boot OS from PCIe NIC.

undionly is a driver that uses the undi stack, which is what the BIOS
or ROM of the machine or NIC provides
It also, in normal cases, can only identify one nic in the machine.
So it makes sense that if you chain into iPXE using the builtin nic,
then only that nic will be available to iPXE.
If you instead would chain via your PCIe NIC then only that nic would
be visible.

If you want the full iPXE supported devices (multiple at the same
time) then you probably want to build and use ipxe.pxe instead.

You can find some details about this at https://ipxe.org/appnote/buildtargets

/Christian