[ipxe-devel] Build fail

Jason Wohlford jason at wohlford.org
Mon Jan 6 17:15:24 UTC 2020

> On Jan 6, 2020, at 9:45 AM, Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> wrote:
>
> On 06/01/2020 16:32, Jason Wohlford wrote:
>> root at montgomery:# git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe.git
>
> As of commit
>
>  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/8f1514a00
>
> the version number is automatically constructed based on the most recent git tag.  The "--depth 1" in your clone command will prevent the tag from being present, which is most likely causing the problem.

That checks out. If I remove "--depth 1," it builds successfully.

I’m using git for versioning in a small project at the link below. If I use "--depth 1”, I still get the proper version. I’m certain you all are much smarter folk than me. Why does it work in my repo, but not in the ipxe repo?

  https://github.com/wohlford/bionic

Regards,
Jason