[ipxe-devel] Build fail

Santiago Torres-Arias santiago at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 6 16:08:14 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 03:45:04PM +0000, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 06/01/2020 16:32, Jason Wohlford wrote:
> > I got a bad build on 18dc73d. It does not occur on ed4a82e. Please advise. Details below.
> As of commit
>
>   http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/8f1514a00
>
> the version number is automatically constructed based on the most recent git
> tag.  The "--depth 1" in your clone command will prevent the tag from being
> present, which is most likely causing the problem.

I think this is somewhat related, git-describe(1) would just
failover to a commit-id when using --always (which coincidently is
18dc):

    [santiago at LykOS src]$ git describe --tags --always --long --abbrev=1 --match "v*"
    18dc

The dead giveaway error is:

    <command-line>: error: invalid suffix "dc" on integer constant

I think we can modify src/Makefile:208 to account for a failing search
(i.e., drop the --always), and then append an identifier such as
(UNKNOWN). Or, we could prepend 0x somewhere so that the integer is
interpreted as a hexadecimal value instead.

Cheers,
-Santiago