[ipxe-devel] EFI PCI configuration access not working on system with more PCI segments

Petr Borsodi petr.borsodi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:42:14 UTC 2020

I tried iPXE for my own custom PCI Express card on a Dell PowerEdge R7515 server.
I found an interesting problem - the iPXE driver will only find the card in the first PCIe slot.
I examined this issue in more detail and discovered the following:

 1.

    The server uses 4 PCI Roots and these roots share same PCI segment (0)

 2.

    First slot belongs PCI Root with index 0

 3.

    Other slots had a different PCI Root

 4.

    The device binding fails in the |efipci_read| function (see the efi_pci.c file) because|root-> Pci.Read| returns an INVALID PARAMETER error.

 5.

    The |efipci_root_open| function pairs the PCI Root with the PCI segment number and thus always finds the first PCI Root

I think this pairing method is bad. The UEFI specification in chapter *PCI Root Bridge I/O Overview* says:

    A PCI Host Bridge and PCI Root Bridge are different than a PCI Segment. A PCI Segment is a
    collection of up to 256 PCI busses that share the same PCI Configuration Space. Depending on
    the chipset, a single EFI_PCI_ROOT_BRIDGE_IO_PROTOCOL may abstract a portion of a PCI
    Segment, or an entire PCI Segment. A PCI Host Bridge may produce one or more PCI Root
    Bridges. When a PCI Host Bridge produces multiple PCI Root Bridges, it is possible to have
    more than one PCI Segment.

I have no idea how reliably fix this issue.

See also https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/issues/173