[ipxe-devel] Booting to MDT or Windows Image

Keith Jackson kjackson5053 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 20:50:28 UTC 2020

Good Afternoon,

I just ran across this process and am looking to do more with it. In my
current environment we run a simple MDT server that makes the desired
image, then we use WDS to push that LiteTouch image to machines. We
currently have 42 servers at each of our locations doing this, each with
Windows server installed. Our facilities are linked by MPLS.

However I found that we will be cutting back on Windows licenses, which
means I will need to find an alternative to PXE booting at our remote
facilities as we are doing it now.

I came across your guide on how to boot SCCM through HTTP. I want to know
if you have a guide or walkthrough on how to do this with just MDT, or even
just an image file created by MDT? I'm facinated by ipxe and booting
through HTTP, however I want to know the limitations and cons. For
instance, will we be able to boot a 2 - 6 gb windows image thorugh HTTP to
a remote site?

Also do you offer instruction on following the steps.

Thanks