[ipxe-devel] Error "Could not select: Exec format error (2e008081)" while loading EFI images via HTTP/TFTP

Felix Jacobi felix.jacobi at iserv.eu
Mon Sep 9 14:06:19 UTC 2019

Hi Arne,

Thank you for your reply.

On 09.09.19 at 15:17, should be q931 wrote:
> As per your screenshot, the error code given is in a URL
>
> The error provides a URL http://ipxe.org/err/2e008081

Yeah, I am aware of the error page and checked the list from the
additional notes. That's the reason I wrote that the Linux kernel is
compiled with the CONFIG_EFI_STUB option.

I am also definitely sure that the kernel image isn't corrupted in some
way as it works seamlessly with other hardware in UEFI mode. The same
applies for the iPXE binary itself which works on other hardware, too.

> If a BIOS iPXE is able to be chainloaded, then it would indicate that it
> is BIOS mode rather than UEFI mode, and this may be why it will not
> chain load a UEFI iPXE

The notebook has definitely no BIOS legacy mode, it just boots in UEFI
mode. The iPXE EFI binary itself is loaded correctly by the firmware via
HTTP with the URL supplied by DHCP. Chainloading further iPXE scripts
works correctly, but iPXE is unable to load subsequent EFI binaries.

Regards, Felix

--
Best regards,

Felix Jacobi

IServ GmbH
Bültenweg 73
38106 Braunschweig

Phone:			        0531-2243666-0
Fax:				0531-2243666-9
E-mail:				felix.jacobi at iserv.eu
Web:			        https://www.iserv.eu
Tax ID:			        DE265149425
Executive directors:		Benjamin Heindl, Martin Hüppe, Jörg Ludwig
Principles on privacy:		https://www.iserv.eu/privacy

Verify my identity: https://github.com/FelixJacobi/gpg-keys