[ipxe-devel] password hash

Markus Kienast mark at trickkiste.at
Wed Oct 23 12:25:32 UTC 2019

Hi there,

does a method to compare a pwd entered by "login" to a predefined pwd hash
already exist?
I desperately would need that, so I can secure some boot items by pwd.

Seems to work with PXE:

https://www.vercot.com/~serva/tools/password_hash.html
https://cobbler.github.io/manuals/2.6.0/4/11_-_PXE-boot_Menu_Passwords.html

The only way I see, how this could currently be implemented, is to go
through a chainloaded script from a webserver supplied with the username
and pwd and giving back the respective response script on successful or
failed hash comparison.

Seems like overkill for something so basic.

Is there an other way or would a patch for this functionality be needed to
do this directly in ipxe?

My regards,
Markus

--