[ipxe-devel] strange behavior (regression?) with SeaBIOS + iPXE + WDSNBP.COM

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 21:49:36 UTC 2019

Hello Michael,

On 11/15/19 18:03, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 15/11/2019 08:45, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> (1) There is a functional iPXE + WDS setup, with iPXE built as a
>> traditional BIOS PCI option ROM, using CONFIG=qemu. Accordingly the
>> platform is qemu, with SeaBIOS, and the NIC is virtio-net-pci.
>>
>> I don't know anything about the particulars of the WDS setup at this
>> point, only that the boot loader program it exposes is WDSNBP.COM.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Any hints as to what could be going wrong?
>
> Your analysis appears correct to me throughout.  No idea what might be
> the root cause at this stage.
>
> Do you have an easy set of instructions for reproducing the problem?  A
> copy of the precise version of WDSNBP.COM that you are using may be
> sufficient.

Thank you very much for responding!

I will get to work on collecting the details of the actual WDS
environment. It will probably take some time. I'll make an attempt to
reproduce the issue directly in my environment too, so I can provide
working instructions.

(Right now, my own env is a minimal "mock" setup, with a semi-random
WDSNBP.COM binary extracted from a long-term Windows Server 2012 R2
virtual machine of mine. Nothing beyond serving that binary up with
libvirt / dnsmasq is configured, so the setup is not nearly a "real" WDS
one.)

I'll report back.

Thank you again!
Laszlo