[ipxe-devel] Can't boot from CD Rom

Martin Habets mhabets at solarflare.com
Wed May 8 17:45:15 UTC 2019

On 08/05/2019 18:24, Jose Mencia wrote:
> Hello Cristian,
>
> I created the mention below script that it is embedded when I make the .usb or .iso file. However, the menu shows fine on a usb flash drive but from the CD, it always want to hit Ctrl B and it doesn't show the menu instead it displays:
>
> No such file or directory

This could happen if your iso is built for a legacy BIOS and the machine is in UEFI mode.
For a flash drive the UEFI platform would enable the CSM, which emulates legacy BIOS mode.

Best check the BIOS settings of the machine so see if it is in UEFI mode.
If it is in UEFI mode, you can either:
1) Switch the BIOS into legacy mode.
2) Build the .iso with UEFI support. For this look for a patch named
     "allow to build ISO image with EFI support (ipxe.eiso)"
   from Christian Hesse.

Martin