[ipxe-devel] link down

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Fri Jan 26 09:44:19 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
> <Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> > >
> > > For reference that is this line in intel.c:
> > > PCI_ROM ( 0x8086, 0x15d8, "i219v-4", "I219-V (4)", INTEL_NO_PHY_RST ),

> > > So which build was it that didn't work? (or did you do something else
> > > differently, like booting OS and rebooting instead of starting from
> > > cold power on)
> >
> > It is booting ipxe from grub2 using: linux16 boot/ipxe.lkrn that fails.
> > I also just noted that if I pull the cable, boot into IPXE (linux16 boot/ipxe.lkrn), insert
> > the cable, I get link OK but ifstat says:
> > TXE: 6 x Operation not supported http://ipxe.org/3c654003
> >

> > > Also worth checking in cases like this: what is the link speed that
> > > the switch sees, and is the switch gigabit capable?
> >
> > I don't have access to the switch but it is a GBE switch.
>
> So ipxe.lkrn is only usable in pcbios mode, so might be some different
> initialization. (efi firmware does some initialization on the NIC
> which is not done when booting in pcbios mode)

Should I use another module instead? I would like just one for both
EDI and BIOS boot. I figure that if the kernel can be used in both modes(EFI/BIOS)
it should be possible for ipxe too, somehow.

> Don't have time to look at any documentation right now, but you could
> test to replace INTEL_NO_PHY_RST in the above line with just a 0 and
> see if that works differently.

I will give it a go.

> If you do make sure you also double check if it works in both efi and
> pcbios mode. (and if possible ensure link up works in max speed on
> both gig and fast ethernet switch)
> More likely tho some different flag is needed instead to get it to
> negotiate correctly from power of mode for these i219v-4 nics

Right, I guess the Linux kernel could aid here but I am not that familar with
the kernel to figure out this myself.

 Jocke