[ipxe-devel] link down

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Fri Jan 26 08:06:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
> <Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com> wrote:
> > > Could you grab the output of lspci -nn so we get the PCIID
> >
> > lspci -nn -s 00:1f.6
> > 00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V [8086:15d8] (rev 21)
> >

> > > Also try to run ifstat inside iPXE to see which driver it has loaded
> >
> > ifstat says:
> > net0: x:x:x:x:x:x using I219v-4  ..
> > Link: down, TX:0 TXE:1 RX:0 RXE:0
> > TXE: 1 x Operation not supported http://ipxe.org/3c654003
> >

> For reference that is this line in intel.c:
> PCI_ROM ( 0x8086, 0x15d8, "i219v-4", "I219-V (4)", INTEL_NO_PHY_RST ),
>

> > > No config change needed, the reason to check the link leds is to see
> > > if the hardware is up, and it's just iPXE to fails. (and of course
> >
> > The link LEDS are ON
> > if I pull and then insert the cable while in ipxe shell then the link LEDs
> > are ON again. Indicates to me that the link is working but ipxe.lkrn does not
> > se it.
> >
> > > that the cable is connected but we understand it already is)
> > > One other thing is that switch ports with STP enabled some times can
> > > take to long to be properly up (but in those cases it is more common
> > > to get DHCP timeouts)
> > >

> > > To build for efi you are using make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi
> > > To build for pcbios use make bin/ipxe.pxe
> > > These are just examples tho.
> >
> > Yes, I gout them all built and ipxe.efi actually works
> >
> > Jocke
>
> So which build was it that didn't work? (or did you do something else
> differently, like booting OS and rebooting instead of starting from
> cold power on)

It is booting ipxe from grub2 using: linux16 boot/ipxe.lkrn that fails.
I also just noted that if I pull the cable, boot into IPXE (linux16 boot/ipxe.lkrn), insert
the cable, I get link OK but ifstat says:
TXE: 6 x Operation not supported http://ipxe.org/3c654003

> Also worth checking in cases like this: what is the link speed that
> the switch sees, and is the switch gigabit capable?

I don't have access to the switch but it is a GBE switch.