[ipxe-devel] Trouble with KVM/QEMU/VirtIO VMs

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Sat Feb 24 13:57:21 UTC 2018

On 02/24/2018 02:01 AM, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 08:21:51PM -0500, Philip Gardner, Jr. wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>> I have attempted to follow the instructions on making a custom image for
>> chainloading iPXE. However, when my VM downloads the image and loads it, it
>> has no networking device available to it, like the image doesn't have the
>> virtio net driver or something.
>>
>> I've attempted to build undionly.kpxe with an ipxe script like so:
>>
>> `make bin/undionly.kpxe EMBED=menu.ipxe`
>>
>> I've also attempted to build ipxe.kpxe:
>>
>> `make bin/ipxe.kpxe EMBED=menu.ipxe`
>>
>> I've also attempted to build a new QEMU ipxe ROM and replace the stock one
>> that comes installed in CentOS 7 (in /usr/share/ipxe):
>>
>> `make -C ./ bin/1af41000.rom EMBED=menu.ipxe`
>>
>> But still, same issue, no network connectivity. What am i doing wrong?

from recollection, i could only get iPXE + libvirt + KVM/qemu to work if
i used the e1000 driver in libvirt, even with the rom type that should
match for virtIO net.

to debug, leave off the EMBED so you can get an interactive iPXE shell,
and then run "ifstat". if you aren't getting any net# devices, the
drivers aren't loaded/working with the provided virtual hardware.

you can also build with debug flags to get more information:
http://ipxe.org/download#debug_builds

i *think* the proper DEBUG= for this case would be "DEBUG=netdevice" but
i'd need confirmation on that.

was this working in the past? if so, it's a bit time-consuming but if
you know the commit/tag/release in which it was working, you could do a
git bisect (primer[0], man page[1], documentation[2]) - that'll narrow
down the exact commit in which things went wonky.

[0] https://robots.thoughtbot.com/git-bisect
[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-bisect
[2]
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Debugging-with-Git#_binary_search