[ipxe-devel] #define KEYBOARD_MAP fi does not work

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Wed Feb 7 18:41:00 UTC 2018

On 07/02/18 09:11, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Fond my error: should be config/local/console.h
> Somewhat inconvenient to use different files though

The config is split across multiple files to avoid having to rebuild the
entire codebase whenever you make a configuration change.

>>> The keyboard mapping is unfortunately imperfect since it's done on the
>>> basis of translating the ASCII characters returned by the BIOS: i.e. the
>>> BIOS first applies a US keymap and we then have to mangle the result
>>> into the closest possible approximation of the desired keymap.
>>>
>>> You can see the characters that iPXE is capable of translating in
>>> hci/keymap/keymap_fi.c.  Is it failing to translate these characters
>>> (e.g. does Shift-7 fail to translate from '&' to '/')?
>>
>> Yes, it is still &
>
> Shift-7 works now

Great!

> but there are several key not translated and AltGr does not work.
>> <åäö\ are some.

The BIOS almost certainly does not understand the AltGr key, which means
that by the time the keyboard data reaches iPXE that information has
already been discarded.