[ipxe-devel] Intel I219-V configuration failing

Benjamin Schneider bschnei at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 16:45:51 UTC 2018

On 02/03/2018 04:34 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
> Use wireshark (or equivalent) to see if the packets are actually being
> transmitted as expected, and to see what (if anything) your DHCP
> server sends back.

I set up tcpdump on my router to listen and confirmed it's working by
booting the machine in question into linux and seeing a DHCP request
arrive at the router. I also confirmed I can reach the WAN just fine.

When I then tried to boot into ipxe, I started getting link down errors
(http://ipxe.org/err/380861). This was the first time I've encountered
this. I also noted that the debug message for unexpected ICR showed
00000102 instead of 00000106. This persisted across a few soft shutdowns
so I pulled the power completely and let it sit for a bit.

At next boot, we were back to the same messages I sent in my previous
email. Tcpdump on my router indeed shows 4 DHCP requests, but ipxe still
ends with "No configuration methods succeeded / No more network
devices". It then drops out two more debug messages about forced MAC
resets before output stops.

I checked logs on my dhcp service and see it responding with an offer to
each of the 4 discoveries but there are no requests coming back after
the offers.

Ben