[ipxe-devel] Wimboot: Lang selection through parameters?

Melkor Lord melkor.lord at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 05:53:40 UTC 2017

On 27/09/2017 12:21, Christian Nilsson wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't each language added as a separate
> index in boot.wim?

Not in my case. My source installation is pure en-US, hence the language
packs. Boot.wim have 2 indexes. The 1st one is named "Microsoft Windows
PE" and the 2nd one "Microsoft Windows Setup", but both in pure en-US.

> So adding index=x to the wimboot cmdline where x represents the index of
> your preferred language should be an option.
> If it does not use different indexes then I guess it is an option that
> you give via BCD, so having one BCD file for each language is probably
> the fix you would want in that case.

Sometimes, we are so focused one solution that we overlook other
possibilities! Your suggestion about different indexes for different
languages is very nice! I feel a bit dumb not thinking about that in the
first place.

Anyhow, I'm don't know (yet) how to modify the BCD to achieve the
multilang goal. If you have any quick pointers, I'd be happy to check them.

But first, I'm gonna go with the indexes to support more than the
default language.

> But I must ask, which parts of boot.wim do you actually need to have
> language specific?

Mainly for error messages in case they occur. Some of the deployments
will be distant and handled by someone else than me. Having native error
messages can help.

There are other reasons but I didn't want to bloat the thread with more
info than needed. In fact, besides the pure Windows setup thing, iPXE
can serve a "Windows PE", loaded with some useful tools for disaster
recovery and/or offline fixing of some issue.

As I don't want to maintain different boot.wim files for each language
(some tools can't use another language than the OS default), I wanted to
have one boot.wim with all needed languages buried in. For that, I
needed a way to specify what language to use at boot time.

But now you mentioned the indexes, it seems to me that this is a
perfectly viable solution. Thank you.

> I would suggest having boot.wim in English and when setup.exe kicks in
> it will give you the language specified in unattended anyway?

That's currently the case. Boot.wim always boots with the default en-US
language and fires up the Setup with a unattend.xml file. I get the
"Setup is starting" message (in english) and as soon as the setup
windows pops up, all messages use the correct language in the XML file.

--
Unix _IS_ user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are.