[ipxe-devel] Booting LiveCD ISO over TFTP?

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:37:01 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Richard Duran <duranr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today is the first day I start looking at iPXE. I could not find much
> documentation, but did spend time searching the web for answers without
> success.
>
> I've seen examples that use "iso raw" to boot Live CDs. Do I need to
> explicitly specific "tftp" in any "base-" or "root-" variables, or is tftp
> assumed if iscsi/http are not used?

Hi,
ipxe.org is mostly documentation, I can agree that it can be hard to
navigate and find what you are looking for sometimes, but most information
is there.
There is also forum.ipxe.org which has this question and many others asked,
and in most cases also answered.

To start with your question about Live CD - you probably don't want to load
the ISO into memory and then try to boot it even if iPXE can do that. One
of many posts that explains why it probably won't work as you expect can be
found at: http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=9314&pid=14693#pid14693

it's slow. One of the best parts with iPXE is it's high performance http
support, so strongly suggest to use that.

I don't remember the exact details but path access mostly works relative,
if you just run chain filename, it should use tftp with the server ip given
via dhcp, which is stored in the next-server variable. I can recommend the
config command to check around which settings exists.

/Christian