[ipxe-devel] IPv6 Implementation

Felnhofer Roland Roland.Felnhofer at cegeka.com
Fri Mar 10 12:56:06 UTC 2017

Dear developers,

I built a version of "snponly.efi" based on source checked out 2017-03-08 with last commit d9886f1961f9970b4354442e84b98727b69cd73a

I attach my 2 local header files: console.h and general.h located in <ipxe root>/src/config/local

Running the following make command:
                make bin-x86_64-efi/snponly.efi EMBED=retry_dhcp_ipv6.ipxe

I've attach the embedded ipxe-file as well.

Now describing the actual issue.
Same symptoms can be seen on physical devices as well as on virtual (VMware 6.0 ESXi virtual machine with Intel E1000(E))
Therefore I ran most of my tests on virtual devices.

I boot the machine via PXE-boot and chain load iPXE
iPXE gets loaded
I get an IPv4 and an IPv6 address.
Pinging the http and DNS Server using IPv4 and IPv6 - it works
I try to make an DNS lookup via IPv4 to a Windows 2012r2 Server- it works
I try to make an DNS lookup via IPv6 to a Windows 2012r2 Server - it does NOT work
I try to make an http download via IPv4 from a Windows 2012r2 Server - it works
I try to make an http download via IPv6 from a Windows 2012r2 Server - it does NOT work

I try to make an http download via IPv6 from a Linux Server - it works
I try to make an http download via IPv6 from a Linux/Unix Server (Google DNS-Server 2001:4860:4860::8888) - it works

I assume there is a certain issue between the IPv6 iPXE implementation and the Windows IPv6 implementation.

The Windows DNS and Web Server works without problem for about 100 Linux und Windows Hosts using IPv6 as their primary protocol.

Best regards
Roland

Best regards

Roland Felnhofer