[ipxe-devel] http://ipxe.org/appnote/buildtargets: doc target missing, missing links

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Sat Jun 24 10:08:17 UTC 2017

On 06/24/2017 11:14 AM, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hello Christian,
>>
>> thank you for supplying the page http://ipxe.org/appnote/buildtargets/.
>
> It has been needing documentation for quite some time, happy to have
> gotten around to it.
>

>> Could you, please, add the "[platform]/doc" target which creates the
>> Doxygen documentation, e.g.
>>
>>     make bin-arm64-efi/doc
>>

> I have never used the doc target myself, will look at it a bit more.
>
>> I suggest to add a link to your application note in the following wiki
>> sections:
>>
>> http://ipxe.org/docs#application_notes
>> http://ipxe.org/download#source_code
>>
>> In http://ipxe.org/download#source_code the line
>>
>>     make
>>
>> without any build target should be replaced by
>>
>>     make [platform]/[driver].[extension]
>>
>> to match your application note.
>>

> make is the standard build and IMHO should not be replaced ...
> make or make all builds some common targets, so for the normal users
> of pcbios this is the most common to use until you get into the
> details of iPXE building (no need to confuse the standard first time
> builders any more then necessary)

make without target simply produces hundreds of errors like

[DEPS] drivers/net/sfc/efx_hunt.c
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mregparm=3’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mrtd’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-m32’

on my arm64 computer.

So without specific knowledge of usable targets the documentation simply
leaves the newcomer totally lost.

> There is also make everything that does a different type of multi build.
> Michael: would it make sense to add ipxe.efi and snponly.efi to the all target?

PC BIOS is a legacy setup, UEFI is the current standard as well on arm64
as on x86.

Best regards

Heinrich Schuchardt