[ipxe-devel] Cannot build wimboot

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Tue Dec 26 17:35:23 UTC 2017

On 12/26/2017 12:29 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 26/12/17 17:12, brent s. wrote:
>>> hrm.. no, i didn't, at least not intentionally, and on the same version
>>> of binutils...
>>>
>>> let me try it on a brand new install. will reply shortly.
>>
>> i've confirmed that it fails on a fresh install of Arch, bare install
>> (only openssh, grub, dosfstools, efibootmgr, and git installed outside
>> of "base" package group), with aforementioned versions, same errors
>> ("main.i386.s:470: Error: 8-byte relocation cannot be applied to 4-byte
>> field" etc.) as previously mentioned in build log. no modifications made
>> to binutils et. al.
>>
>> this occurs with both the "base-devel" package group and
>> "multilib-devel" package group installed/used.
>>
>> anything else i can try?
>
> I cannot reproduce your failure on a fresh Arch installation, sorry. You
> could try a fresh install in Amazon EC2 using one of the AMIs from
>
>   https://www.uplinklabs.net/projects/arch-linux-on-ec2/
>
> For reference, I get a successful build using ami-566eeb2f (eu-west-1).
>
> Michael

I'm reproducing on a non-modified full-virt KVM VM, installed straight
from the Arch ISO. The failure occurs on hardware/physical installs as
well (on three different physical installs).

I suspect your successful build may be due to a modification on AWS'
distributed template; perhaps a certain package/lib being installed.

Can you get me the output (will probably be long) of:

pacman -Q

on an AWS instance that builds it successfully?

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/