[ipxe-devel] Official ipxe.efi fails to chain the 1st time into boot.salstar.sk

Dreamcat4 dreamcat4 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 20:11:03 UTC 2016

The cmd used to create the pcap file was (on my LAN router):

tcpdump -i br0 src 92.168.1.16 -w tcpdump-w.test2.pcap

This is what happened in the ipxe shell:

Type 'exit' to get back to the menu
iPXE> chain http://boot.salstar.sk/ipxe/ipxe.efi
http://boot.salstar.sk/ipxe/ipxe.efi........ Connection timed out (
http://ipxe.org/4c0a6092)
iPXE> _

# Again (up arrow) 2nd time successful

iPXE> chain http://boot.salstar.sk/ipxe/ipxe.efi... ok
iPXE initialising devices...

========
end of pcap logging.

Sounds like this problem:

http://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/2014-July/003627.html

But I dont have any special Cisco switch or other special hardware. So i
reboot and try again to a different web server. This time ipxe.org's
website and not salstar.sk.

This time it worked 1st time:

Type 'exit' to get back to the menu
iPXE> chain http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.efi... ok
iPXE initialising devices...

Which worked the 1st time no problems. No connection timeout whatsoever.

Earlier today I asked Jan, the site maintainer of salstar.sk to help find
the issue. He took a packet log his end and didnt see anything failed come
through apart from the successful 200 ok one.

This was during a different run.

[Copied from his email]

One try only:

GET /ipxe/ipxe.efi HTTP/1.1