[ipxe-devel] About the RX_BUF_SIZE issue of virtio-net

Lin Ma lma at suse.com
Mon Mar 28 12:20:41 UTC 2016

Hi all,

We know that RX_BUF_SIZE is assigned the value 1522 in src/drivers/net/virtio-net.c.

I'd like to know that is it ok if I write a patch to change the value from 1522 to IEEE80211_MAX_FRAME_LEN(2352)?
If the answer is negative, Would you please tell me why?

I got an bug report about this, During a pxe guest installation, after loading kernel, if sending jumbo frame packets, say
'ping -i0.5 -M do -s 8972 $GUEST_IP' from host, The guest installation will hang, So I want to increase the rx buffer
size of virtio-net to avoid this overflow. That's why I ask this question.

Thanks,
Lin