[ipxe-devel] iPXE, iscsi, isc-dhcp on FreeBSD 10.x

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Sat Mar 26 18:09:52 UTC 2016

On 26/03/16 17:30, pathiaki2 wrote:
> Registered SAN device 0x80
> Booting from SAN device 0x80
>
> And then it hangs right there... :-(
>
> At this point, has it completely switched over control to the iSCSI target?

Kind of.  It has transferred control to whatever code is present in the
MBR on the iSCSI target.  That code will be making INT13 calls back into
iPXE to read from the iSCSI target.

You can get some visibility by running wireshark to observe the iSCSI
traffic, or by enabling DEBUG=int13:3 in iPXE (which will show you all
of the INT13 commands issued to iPXE).

> kernel: WARNING: 192.168.0.21 (iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe:laptop1.test.net):
> no ping reply (NOP-Out) after 5 seconds; dropping connection
>
> I don't understand that error and I don't get target it's trying to get
> to.... iqn.2010-04.org.ipxe:laptop1.test.net.  Is that some type of
> initiator in iPXE?

If no explicit initiator name is given, then iPXE will construct an
initiator name from the system hostname or UUID.  See
http://ipxe.org/cfg/initiator-iqn for some documentation on this.

As for the NOP-Out: our iSCSI initiator doesn't support responding to
NOPs.  You should probably disable this on the target side.