[ipxe-devel] iPXE Support For Intel 82599ES Card (Question)

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Fri Jun 10 15:10:07 UTC 2016

On 10/06/16 14:29, Sten Spans wrote:
>> On 08/06/16 20:08, Victor Salvacruz wrote:
>>>   Is the 82599 NIC Card supported with iPXE? Is it supported to burn
>>> iPXE image into ROM for this card?
>
> I've been validating systems with exactly this card recently.
> We run a fairly regular tftp - ipxe - http bootserver environment.
>
> The HP branded version of this card (HP Ethernet 560FLR-SFP+)
> in a HP system works flawlessly - in bios/undi and UEFI/intelx modes.
>
> However the quanta OCP mezzanine version (QN 10GbE 82599ES)
> doesn't work, which is something I've asked Cloudian / Quanta to look into.
>
> Tested configs:
> - bios / undi
> - bios / intelx
> - uefi / snp
> - uefi / intelx
>
> I've even tried to patch the undi broken irq thing,
> but that didn't help either. Something is messed up there,
> but for now I'm suspecting firmware/eprom settings.

That seems plausible, given that the problem affects undi/snp as well as
the iPXE intelx driver.  Assuming that you are chainloading into
intelx.pxe/intelx.efi, then the common code path would be the closing of
the interface: the underlying undi/snp driver is possibly writing some
register on close that prevents the subsequent reopen from working (e.g.
by clearing the AUTOC register).