[ipxe-devel] Issue when booting linux kernels when in UEFI mode

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:08:27 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:00 PM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca> wrote:

> [...]

I can confirm this, doing chain http://boot.ipxe.org/ipxe.efi gives version 145a
and then trying to boot linux with a similar script just hangs (using
http://b800.org/sysr/sysrcd.ipxe)
While a older version works fine.

Chaining into ipxe.efi from ipxe.efi (145a) still works fine.

Not sure if I can find the time for a git bisect right now.

> | Below is the iPXE script
> |
> | #!ipxe
> |
> | :retry
> | initrd
> | http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/CentOS/7/os/${arch}/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
> | chain
> | http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/CentOS/7/os/${arch}/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
> | initrd=initrd.img
> | method=http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/CentOS/7/os/${arch}/
> | ksdevice=${netX/mac} dhcptimeout=240 || goto retry
> | boot ||  goto retry
> |
> | When building iPXE for UEFI mode I have src/config/local/general.h.UEFI
> | contain
> |
> | #define DOWNLOAD_PROTO_HTTPS        /* Secure Hypertext Transfer Protocol */
> | #define IMAGE_EFI                   /* Include ability to load UEFI images */
> | #define VLAN_CMD                /* VLAN commands */

Unrelated but, IMAGE_EFI is default in efi builds and should not be
needed, I strongly recommend you only set the absolute minimum defines
to not end up with breakage.

/Christian