[ipxe-devel] Issue when booting linux kernels when in UEFI mode

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Thu Jul 28 19:43:01 UTC 2016

Hi All,

A few months ago I installed a bunch of UEFI based machines using iPXE and about a few days ago I tried and now systems in UEFI mode won't boot, but when in BIOS mode they boot just fine.  Basically, the system downloads the initrd and kernel and just hangs there.

Below is the iPXE script

#!ipxe

:retry
initrd http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/CentOS/7/os/${arch}/images/pxeboot/initrd.img || goto retry
chain http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/CentOS/7/os/${arch}/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img method=http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/CentOS/7/os/${arch}/ ksdevice=${netX/mac} dhcptimeout=240 || goto retry
boot ||  goto retry

When building iPXE for UEFI mode I have src/config/local/general.h.UEFI contain

#define DOWNLOAD_PROTO_HTTPS        /* Secure Hypertext Transfer Protocol */
#define IMAGE_EFI                   /* Include ability to load UEFI images */
#define VLAN_CMD                /* VLAN commands */

I've built the latest iPXE source but I haven't gone back to older versions yet to see where the problem may have come up.  I just wanted to see if something may have changed in the way I should be building iPXE.  I can't find any reference to the IMAGE_EFI define in the building reference either.  Thoughts?

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca