[ipxe-devel] SRP booting linux, SRP volume with ISO stops seeing itself

james harvey jamespharvey20 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 01:39:01 UTC 2016

I hope I'm wrong here, but I think there needs to be an additional
kernel module to allow SRP booting.  Has no one done this yet, booted
linux by SRP, or am I off somewhere?

I do have a program that can search a given 640k area, and find and
parse a sBFT.  (Probably needs a tweak or two once I'm running it on
what iPXE leaves behind, rather than the test structures I'm randomly
making and randomly placing.)

Now that I'm at the point of wanting to try it during boot, I realized
what I should have earlier - I don't think there's any way for my
program to access the sBFT.

My understanding (could be outdated) is that the system boots in
16-bit real mode with no memory access protections, and the kernel
quickly switches over to protected mode.  If my userspace program runs
in protected mode, I believe it's impossible to access base memory and
find or read the sBFT.

Is there a way to make my program run before the switch, so it's in
real mode?  (I assume I'd have to use 16-bit compilation here too.)
I'm not seeing anything indicating that.

Otherwise, I think only kernelspace could find and parse the sBFT.

I looked at how iSCSI booting does it, and there's a kernel module
iscsi_ibft which gives a sysfs interface to the iBFT structure.  I
don't see anything along the lines of an ib_sbft kernel module.

Most of me wants this project over, done and working.  Part of me is
mildly interested in writing a kernel module if needed.

I'm wondering if the easiest way for me to move on from this would be
to duplicate the information, giving it to both iPXE, and the kernel
as parameters to be parsed, and just ignore the sBFT.