[ipxe-devel] SRP booting linux, SRP volume with ISO stops seeing itself

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Jan 28 00:17:24 UTC 2016

On 08/01/16 02:19, james harvey wrote:
> Before I keep going down the hole, let me make sure my plan isn't
> futile.  I want to make a diskless system, by having iPXE in my
> InfiniBand card's ROM, and being able to boot an Arch Linux Live ISO
> (custom built with srp kernel modules) exported as a SRP volume backed
> by the ISO, and install on other SRP volumes which are backed by LVM
> volumes.
>
> I have a real general idea of how the iPXE to kernel handoff works,
> through the iBFT (iSCSI Boot Firmware Table.)  Since I'm using SRP
> rather than iSCSI, is the iBFT still used?  If not, how does the SRP
> connection get handed off, with all the variables needed for an SRP
> connection?

There is an SRP boot firmware table constructed (the sBFT).  This is
nominally documented at

   http://ipxe.org/srp/sbft

However, I'm not aware of any Linux userspace tools that are capable of
parsing that structure.  It should be fairly easy to create such a tool,
which would scan base memory for the sBFT signature, verify the
checksum, extract the fields, and then write the relevant values into
sysfs to initiate the connection.

I thought I had written such a tool back in 2009, but all I can find
relating to it is the proposal document.  It seems to have been an
abandoned project back then.