[ipxe-devel] iMac 2007 silently fails booting kernel

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Sun Jan 17 14:41:36 UTC 2016

On 17/01/16 08:37, Linus Lüssing wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 09:05:12PM +0000, Michael Brown wrote:
>> You could try building with DEBUG=nii:3.  If you are seeing the same
>> problem that I hit, then the last line displayed will be
>>
>>     NII <name> issuing 07:0000 <num>
>
> DEBUG=nii:3 does not create any additional output for me.
>
> Trying to understand the code a little more, where is the
> bs->CreateEvent function pointer set exactly?
> 'git grep "CreateEvent"' seems to show me executions of that
> pointer only.

The function that we hook to get called at the time of
ExitBootServices() is efi_shutdown_hook() (in efi_init.c).

 From there, you can try tracing the execution through the call to
shutdown() to see which shutdown methods get called.  You might find it
helpful to look at the linker map (add ".map" to the end of your build
target) to track down the constructed startup_fn array: the shutdown
functions get called in the reverse order of this array (and any NULL
entries will not be called).