[ipxe-devel] how to ipxe on ALTERNATE_DHCP_PORTS_1067_1068

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Aug 18 21:16:57 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 06:39:14PM +0200, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:10 AM, aromal victor <aromalvictor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi ipxe team,
> >
> > Need you guidance on making use of the feature - using alternate dhcp that
> > runs on ports 1067 and 1068.

   :-)

> > Scenario:-
> >
> > I have an existing lab with DHCP which is maintained by IT and I have no
> > control over it.
> >

> Hi,
> What you want is most likely a proxydhcp server instead, it listens on
> port 4011 and only sends out the pxe options, while ip, dns, gateway
> is still sent by the default dhcp server. Atleast this is what you
> want if the default dhcp server does not provide any boot options.

Next lines are from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

  The idea behind a proxyDHCP is to split the PXE DHCP requirements in
  two independently run and administered server units

Advice: read the whole wikipedia article.

> Unfortunately I have no suggestions on proxyDhcp servers you might
> want to try, but I myself would like to hear recommendations for
> proxyDhcp servers and configurations in combination with iPXE and
> "avoiding the boot loop"

Dnsmasq  http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html
has DHCP proxy support.  Dnsmasq is packaged in Debian.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven