[ipxe-devel] infinite loop in makefile

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 18:29:40 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Walker, Scott <walker91 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was unable to use the precompiled binary of iPXE because control-B appears
> to be making it crash instead of going to the command line. I’ve been trying
> to compile the source from github (which is current as of today) but there
> is an infinite loop in the makefile.
>
> The loop appears to be in the “deps_template_file” function. I left it
> running for 25 minutes but it keeps looping through and printing all of the
> "[DEPS]" output.
>
> Here is the info for the machine I am using to compile iPXE.
>
> make --version
> GNU Make 3.81
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> This program built for x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
>
> uname -rvso
> Linux 2.6.32-573.18.1.1chaos.ch5.4.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Feb 11 17:42:20 PST
> 2016 GNU/Linux
>
> cpuinfo
>
> model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz
>

> thanks,
> Scott Walker

Hi,
Official git repo is located at http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git

What are you building? a git pull gives me 2afd66eb55
Followed by a make -j16 everything works without issues here on a
Gentoo install.

Not tested a boot so can't comment on Ctrl+B but official builds are
available att boot.ipxe.org

/Christian