[ipxe-devel] i354 support in the intel driver

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Oct 1 13:15:58 UTC 2015

On 30/09/15 16:43, Patrick Agrain wrote:
> I tought that a first step could be to add the PCI_ROM() macro with the
> correct IDs, so that the device should be, at least, probed.
> The console output let me think that this is even not reached.
>
> Am I missing anything in the procedure ?
> Is there a way to increase the debug level ?
>
> <snip>
>
> Booting from ROM...
> Booting from c100:0361
> iPXE (PCI 00:14.0) starting execution...ok
>
> Note: from here it hangs...

So, it looks as though you may not be successfully reaching main().
This kind of problem is difficult to track down outside of a VM, unless
you have some kind of hardware debugger available.

My recommendation would be to first find the simplest and most reliable
mechanism available for debug output on this board.  If you have a debug
I/O port available (similar to port 0xe9 in qemu VMs) then use that.  If
you have a text-mode VGA console attached, then try writing directly to
video memory at 0xb8000.  You ideally want something that can work even
in the middle of a transition from real to protected mode.

Once you have something sufficiently robust, try adding output between
the point that the "ok" is printed (the "call print_message" for
exec_message_post_install in arch/i386/prefix/romprefix.S) and the point
that the "initialising devices" message gets printed (in core/main.c).