[ipxe-devel] Subnet mask 255.255.255.255 doesn't work

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Fri Jun 26 19:11:23 UTC 2015

On 26/06/15 18:55, Josh Jameson wrote:
> I am having an issue where I need to provide /32 DHCP request where the
> gateway is outside the subnet.
>
> For example consider the following DHCP offer;
>   IP: 10.0.0.50
>   Netmask: 255.255.255.255
>   Gateway: 10.1.0.1
>
> iPXE doesn't seem to communicate right. It times out when trying to get
> a HTTP request at http://10.1.0.1/.

That doesn't surprise me.  By specifying a subnet mask of
255.255.255.255, you are telling iPXE (or any other client) that there
is one and only one IP address on that network, which is the 10.0.0.50
address itself.  You have not provided any way for the client to reach
10.1.0.1.

>If I boot the same machine and
> network config into Linux or Windows I can access the URL.

That _does_ surprise me.  I tested it just now: as expected, Linux fails
to communicate with 10.1.0.1.  (Specifically, it refuses to even add
10.1.0.1 as the default gateway, since that address is not within the
designated local network range of 10.0.0.50-10.0.0.50).

I'm not sure what network topology you're actually trying to create.  Is
the iPXE client in the same broadcast domain as the gateway (i.e. if you
send a broadcast such as an ARP request from the iPXE node, do you
expect it to reach the gateway)?  If so, then you are probably using a
subnet mask of 255.0.0.0.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork#IPv4_subnetting for some
basic introduction to subnet masks.

Hope that helps!