[ipxe-devel] tftp booting a 32bit rhel 5 kernel/initrd (pxeboot images) and iPXE will just "reboot/crash"...

Torgeir.Wulfsberg at kongsberg.com Torgeir.Wulfsberg at kongsberg.com
Wed Jul 29 08:53:32 UTC 2015

Hi!

I recently noticed that iPXE as of the latest commit to this day (built on my rhel 6/7 client and Ubuntu 15), cannot boot a 32bit rhel 5 pxeboot kernel/initrd image (I have tested 5u3, 5u8, 5u11 images).

iPXE will just "crash/reboot". Funnily enough my 32bit rhel 6 images works fine.

Going back in time to the last good known state (I had downloaded in June 2014), then going back and forth (some months/commits) A LOT, I managed to locate where it would stop working, so I could reproduce this behavior.

This is the commit it would crash/reboot (Makefile.housekeeping - "AR sort BLIB_OBJS"):

https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/335a7ddcd4e2d0faaee6d5b1edf0307dfba3d0e5

To reproduce (tested on rhel6/7 and Ubuntu 15):

# get ipxe, build ipxe.pxe image

cd ~

git clone git://ipxe.org/ipxe.git

cd ipxe

cd src

make bin/ipxe.pxe

# move ipxe image files to tftp server

# tftp boot the ipxe image file we just made

# pressed CTRL+B

# dhcp, so we can fetch file from our tftp/http server

dhcp net0

# download/boot rhel 5 kernel/initrd files from the "images/pxeboot" folder on the DVD)

kernel tftp://192.168.2.102/vmlinuz_rhel5u3_x86

initrd tftp://192.168.2.102/initrd_rhel5u3_x86.img

boot

# and ipxe will just reboot (or crash)

Building the latest ipxe version available from git, and reverting "Makefile.housekeeping - AR sort BLIB_OBJS" (https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/335a7ddcd4e2d0faaee6d5b1edf0307dfba3d0e5), resulted in an iPXE version that works for my rhel 5 32 bit pxeboot images.

Maybe I am the only one still in need of pxebooting 32bits rhel5 images...

--Torgeir

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail and any attachment contain KONGSBERG information which may be proprietary, confidential or subject to export regulations, and is only meant for the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is prohibited, if not otherwise explicitly agreed with KONGSBERG. If received in error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender properly.