[ipxe-devel] - uuid mangle does not show correctly for my hp elitebook 8440p

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Sat Jul 25 10:07:58 UTC 2015

On 22.07.2015 11:45, Torgeir.Wulfsberg at kongsberg.com wrote:
> I have an HP Elitebook 8440p, where iPXE does not display the correct UUID for this machine. Searching through the ipxe git repo, I've located this commit.
> https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/9e896d0eeaa07d47b2bed4c92072fd638ce3eb55
>
> Anything before this commit, and iPXE does show the correct UUID for my 8440p.
>
> Correct UUID from BIOS:
> 00112233-4455-6677-8899-aabbccddeeff

Looking at that UUID, it seems your OEM didn't bother to actually
generate a unique one. That one seems made up. Maybe they actually
forgot to properly configure that machine you've got.

> iPXE displays it like this:
> 33221100-5544-7766-8899-aabbccddeeff

I think maybe the OEM didn't adhere to the SMBIOS spec changes in 2.6
about the endianness, as stated in the commit, and they just copied data
from an old configuration entry. That's my guess. That's probably why
you're having the issue.

> It seems to be correctly on some other laptops I have here at work (nc6400, 8540w, 8470p), both older and newer than my 8440p.

To be expected.

> Anything I can do to help debug what cause this problem (I have tried iPXE from the newest available commit, to this date)?

Have you at least tried to contact the OEM about this issue? Maybe
checked if they have a firmware upgrade that fixes the problem? The
first thing to do in the debug is to get the information out of your
BIOS, namely the bytes that form the UUID and the SMBIOS version, to
verify what they actually are. With that it _might_ be possible to find
a workaround, but don't hold your breath.

-- Robin