[ipxe-devel] login/menu commands and serial console?

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Jul 21 17:58:19 UTC 2015

On 21/07/15 18:35, Ben Hildred wrote:
> I hit a similar problem, and I have been toying with the idea of adding
> support for basic ansi escapes to iPXE and rewriting the full screen
> parts to use it (menu, login, and config)

iPXE already uses ANSI escape sequences internally for all console I/O,
with an internal translation layer to drive the BIOS INT 10 and other
non-ANSI consoles.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Sven Dreyer <sven at dreyer-net.de> wrote:
>     I normally use iPXE on a VGA screen (BIOS mode). But I also own some
>     PC Engines ALIX / APU boards. Those do not have a VGA part, so I
>     need to use the serial port.
>
>     When using "login" command, it looks a bit weird, because everytime
>     I type a character, the whole line is repeated. Typing my username
>     "sven" would result in
>
>     s  sv  sve   sven

Are you using:

  (a) iPXE's own serial console support (CONSOLE_SERIAL in
config/console.h),
  (b) some kind of serial console emulation provided by your BIOS, or
  (c) both

Option (a) should work.  Option (b) may work if your BIOS is good
enough.  Option (c) is not going to work since both iPXE and the BIOS
will be attempting to drive the serial port simultaneously.