[ipxe-devel] login/menu commands and serial console?

Sven Dreyer sven at dreyer-net.de
Tue Jul 21 16:46:39 UTC 2015

Hi list,

I normally use iPXE on a VGA screen (BIOS mode). But I also own some PC
Engines ALIX / APU boards. Those do not have a VGA part, so I need to
use the serial port.

When using "login" command, it looks a bit weird, because everytime I
type a character, the whole line is repeated. Typing my username "sven"
would result in

s  sv  sve   sven

The "menu" command behaves the same way, if I have four entries, it
looks like

FirstEntry   SecondEntry   ThirdEntry

When moving the cursor to the second entry, it changes to

FirstEntry   SecondEntry   ThirdEntry   SecondEntry

I saw this with PuTTY, screen and minicom.

Is this normal behaviour or do I need to set a specific terminal
emulation on the PC I have connected to the other end of the serial cable?

Thanks!
Sven