[ipxe-devel] Fresh IPXE bug involving http ports

allen allen at gtf.org
Thu Aug 27 18:03:24 UTC 2015

Hi All,

We've been using iPXE for several years but I recently made changes to
our process and while doing so, built the latest version.  Think I've
found a bug.

We use a mechanism by which a script is delivered to iPXE via http over
non-standard port 4000.  From our dhcpd.conf:

    } elsif exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE" {
       filename "http://10.xx.xx.xx:4000/ipxe";

That script provides a menu with a default, which in turn loads the same
script again with a different default, which ultimately pulls a kernel
and initrd via http over the standard port 80.

What I'm seeing is that the kernel request fails telling me that the
file doesn't exist.  Checking the web server logs, I see that the
request is actually being issued to port 4000 (the port we used to
initially provide the iPXE script.)

After this failure the script ends and drops me to the iPXE shell.  If I
then manually type the same kernel command, it works perfectly (loads
via port 80).

I did a bit of bisection and found that the issue seems to have appeared
in
https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commit/518a98eb56f073c4fd1f20c730e474a6f2c8c2e9.

If there's anything I can do to provide more information or assist with
debugging, let me know!

For now, we're building the previous commit and all is well.

Cheers,
Allen