[ipxe-devel] Boot in IPv6

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Sep 16 15:06:20 UTC 2014

On 09/09/14 09:18, Wissam Shoukair wrote:
> I’m new to the IPv6 interface in iPXE. How I can boot only over IPv6 ?

If you have IPv6 enabled (in config/general.h), then iPXE will attempt
to autoconfigure via both IPv4 and IPv6, and will use whatever
autoconfiguration is offered (with no explicit priority given to either
protocol).

IPv6 autoconfiguration uses router advertisements (which is sufficient
to pick up an IPv6 address, DNS server address, and DNS search list).
If the router advertisement specifies that the network uses stateless or
stateful DHCPv6, then iPXE will use that to obtain further configuration
(including possible a bootfile URL).

If you want to explicitly boot from IPv6 on a dual IPv4/IPv6 network,
then you can use e.g.

   ifconf -c ipv6
   chain ${filename}

to avoid picking up the network's IPv4 configuration.