[ipxe-devel] Windows having problems parsing iBFT from recent iPXE versions?

Floris Bos bos at je-eigen-domein.nl
Tue Oct 28 22:43:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am having problems getting a Windows 2012 iSCSI installation to work
with recent iPXE versions,
while it does work with an older iPXE version.

Test setup:

- Virtualbox VM as "server to be provisioned"
- Simple Synology NAS device as iSCSI target
- Latest wimboot
- iPXE script that looks like this:

==
set keep-san 1
set skip-san-boot 1
sanboot
iscsi:192.168.178.99::3260::iqn.2000-01.com.synology:DiskStation.diskless
kernel http://192.168.178.100/wimboot
initrd http://192.168.178.100/bootmgr bootmgr
initrd http://192.168.178.100/bcd bcd
initrd http://192.168.178.100/boot.sdi boot.sdi
initrd http://192.168.178.100/segmono_boot.ttf segmono_boot.ttf
initrd http://192.168.178.100/segoe_slboot.ttf segoe_slboot.ttf
initrd http://192.168.178.100/wgl4_boot.ttf wgl4_boot.ttf
initrd http://192.168.178.100/boot.wim boot.wim
boot
==

With undionly.kkpxe compiled today from git sources:

Windows does not detect the iSCSI disk and network configuration is not
entirely correct.
Seems Windows was able to obtain the IPv4 IP-address, but not my IPv4
nameserver from iBFT.

Screenshot of ipconfig/diskpart "show disk":
http://s29.postimg.org/s8eyhb78n/ipxe_2014.png

With an old undionly.kkpxe I compiled back in September 2012, and
everything else the same, it does works correctly.

Screenshot: http://s22.postimg.org/hg17r5ug1/ipxe_2012.png

Any idea what might be the issue?

--
Yours sincerely,