[ipxe-devel] Hang during 'establishing link' using ASIX USB dongle and undi driver

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu May 22 22:27:42 UTC 2014

On 22/05/14 19:19, Mike Harris wrote:
> So it seems the ASIX dongle can be initialized just once, by the PXE rom
> in the BIOS. So I'm going to try burning ipxe to a USB stick, then
> booting from that.
>
> Building a usb image should be the same, right? Just use
> target bin/undionly.usb instead? iPXE starts OK doing that, but then
> 'ifconf' shows no network devices. Is there something I need to do to
> get my USB dongle to show up?

Unfortunately it's not that easy.  The "undionly" driver is only for
chainloading; it doesn't have any capability to load or unload an
underlying PXE stack.

You can try using bin/undi.usb (or just the usual bin/ipxe.usb); either
of these will include the UNDI PCI driver which will attempt to load a
PXE ROM provided by a PCI device.  If your Dell provides the PXE ROM in
the form of a PCI ROM image (possibly with vendor:device IDs matching
the USB controller) then there is a slim chance of this working.