[ipxe-devel] DHCP problems on Intel 82567LM

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Mon May 5 08:26:58 UTC 2014

Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> on Fri, 2014/05/02 17:40:
> On 02/05/14 11:01, Christian Hesse wrote:
> >> Is the datapath broken in both directions?
> >
> > No. The Dell notebook (the one acting as client and having the problem)
> > receives packets. I can not see a single ethernet frame on the network
> > sent from the notebook.
> >
> >> Are you able to transmit ARP
> >> requests or broadcast pings, or observe received data via tcpdump?
> >
> > tcpdump receives all types of packets on the notebook.
>
> If you try sending a large number of packets (e.g. using arping or a
> broadcast ping: anything that won't wait for a reply before sending out
> the next packet) then what happens to the TX packet counts and error
> counts reported by ifconfig?

server# arping -I device 172.16.1.5
ARPING 172.16.1.5 from 172.16.1.1 device

notebook# arping -I enp0s25 172.16.1.1
ARPING 172.16.1.1 from 172.16.1.5 enp0s25

notebook# ip -s link show dev enp0s25
2: enp0s25 [...]
    link/ether 01:23:45:c0:ff:ee brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast
    2214       346      0       0       0       0
    TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns
    2892       4        0       0       0       0

RX packet and byte count increases, TX count does not.

Actually the system has a TX packet count of four, no idea where this comes
from. I can not increase it any further.

> Does tcpdump running on the notebook see its own transmitted packets?

Yes, it does.

> > Did a warm reboot and tried to boot via UNDI. BIOS reported:
> >
> >> PXE-E05: The LAN adapter's configuration is corupted or has not been
> >> initialized. The Boot agent cannot continue.
> >
> > Though this is not reproducible. After a cold reboot everything ist just
> > fine again.
>
> Good to know, but it's probably going to be easier to try to diagnose
> the problem from within Linux first.

Ok. :D

Does it help if I provide ssh access to a device suffering the issue? There
is no sensitive data on it.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)