[ipxe-devel] ipxe config issue or elilo config issue

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Mon Mar 31 13:33:35 UTC 2014

On 29/03/14 02:14, Peter CZ Peng wrote:
> <snip>
> when I want to translate the booting process to support the *legacy PXE
> machine* ,it failed as following ,I am not sure if ipxe can directly to
> support the rootimg as above example or not ,
> and also ,I do think that is the elilo or ipxe config issue ,can you
> help to pay some time to check with it ,thank

ELILO is an EFI-only boot loader.  It simply won't be able to run in a
non-UEFI BIOS environment.

You can load your kernel and initrd directly from iPXE (ignoring ELILO
completely).  For example:

   #!ipxe
   kernel product/common/ramdisk/rh64vmlinuz \
       initrd=rh64_02042014_initrd \
       imgurl=ftp:product/common/ramdisk/rh64rootimg_02262014.gz \
       panic=20 rdblacklist=nouveau nomodeset
   initrd product/common/ramdisk/rh64_02042014_initrd
   boot

If your kernel was built with CONFIG_EFI_STUB enabled, then this script
will work without modifications for both UEFI and BIOS environments.