[ipxe-devel] [ipxe] Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios (#21)

Dale Hamel notifications at github.com
Tue Jun 10 13:58:49 UTC 2014

We use a simple algorithm for generating our own skus amd so far it hasn't
failed us.

Manufacturer + most specific serial.

1. Shorten the manufacturer to 3 characters (ex Dell Inc. to DEL and
supermicro to SPM) this is just for convenience.
2. Append the board serial, if available, else use the chassis serial.
Board serial will be needed for blade nodes. We haven't seen any case other
than some rare full chassis nodes not having a board serial. Even if they
don't, they have the chassis serial.

Haven't encountered a manufacturer where a uniquely identifing serial isn't
encoded in smbios, so it is pretty reliable.

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014, Vasiliy Tolstov <notifications at github.com> wrote:

> Very nice. I'm alredy hit this problem then generation cluster_id in
> pacemaker based on uuid.
> Does board serial and board-product always uniq?

> <https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/pull/21#issuecomment-45602629>.

---
https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/pull/21#issuecomment-45616533