[ipxe-devel] HTTP POST with chain always GET's

Kristian Van Der Vliet kvandervliet at dyn.com
Thu Jun 5 12:49:11 UTC 2014

Hello, iPXE devs.

I was hoping to use the HTTP POST & params support in the latest versions
of iPXE to perform a simple POST to a custom application, which would allow
me to capture various bits of information (like the MAC & System Serial).
However it seems that no matter what I do, the HTTP request is always
performed as a GET.

As an example, in iPXE:

  params
  param uuid ${uuid}
  param serial ${serial}
  param bootmac ${net0/mac}
  chain http://example.com/ipxe/${uuid}/discover##params
  http://example.com/ipxe/00000000-0000-0000-0000-002590d50ec2/discover...
No such file or directory (http://ipxe.org/2d0c613b)

iPXE performs the HTTP request, and even seems to recognise that I've got
##params at the end of the URL. The other end of the HTTP request is a
custom Sinatra application with:

get "/ipxe/:uuid/discover" do
  puts "iPXE GET"
  halt(404)
end

post "/ipxe/:uuid/discover" do
  puts "iPXE POST"
  halt(404)
end

I've confirmed that only the GET handler is ever called.

Also is there a cleaner method to perform a "pure" HTTP POST that isn't in
some way abusing the chain or img* commands?

--

[image: Dyn logo, Dyn.com] <http://dyn.com/>
<http://twitter.com/dyn>    <http://twitter.com/dyninc>[image: Dyn facebook

Kristian Van Der Vliet  / System Engineer, DevTools
 +44 7983 258 707